Homeopathy is a safe, natural, drug free, holistic healing therapy based on the principle of "like cures like'. Homeopathy uses nano-doses of specially prepared remedies to act as a "catalyst" to help stimulate the body to heal itself.
Homeopathy aids the body’s own powers of recovery and can help strengthen resistance to illness.
Homeopathy was developed in Europe and has been used around the world by millions of people for over 200 years, Its roots have a tradition dating back to ancient Greece. It is currently the fastest growing complementary therapy in the USA. Homeopathy can be safely used alongside conventional medicine.
In 1796 a German physician, Samuel Hahnemann, discovered a radically different approach to the treatment and care of the sick,which he called Homeopathy from the Greek word, ‘Homeos’ meaning similar and ‘pathos’ meaning suffering.
Like hippocrates 2000 years earlier, Hahnemann realised that there were two different ways of treating ill health and that was opposites and similars. Modern conventional or "allopathic" drug therapy of disease uses powerful medicines designed to generate an opposite effect on the body to the symptoms exhibited by the patient. Homeopathy uses small doses of different substances found in nature, called remedies , designed to invoke very mild symptoms similar to those exhibited by the patient and thusstimulate the bodies own repair and recovery mechanisms.
In the 19th century, at a time of dangerous bloodletting, blistering and use of toxic substances as medicines to control raging epidemics, the gentle yet apparently powerful effects of homeopathy became extremely popular. According to historical records, In the 1800s and early 1900s death rates in some homeopathic hospitals were 1/8th the rates in conventional hospitals of the time.
In 1998 the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association estimated adverse drug reactions might be the 4th leading cause of death in the US, killing over 100,000 people every year .
Today, with clear evidence regarding the dangers of drug toxicity and the cookie cutter approach to medical treatment, homeopathic medicine is receiving much wider acceptance again because of its safety, utility and individualised approach.
Scientific studies have shown that homeopathy, when correctly used, can help in a wide range of conditions - physical, mental and emotional.
Homeopathic remedies are made by a carefully controlled process and are FDA approved. They are pleasant tasting and gentle enough for babies and children. Their use is also safe for pregnant women and nursing mothers.
The Principles of Classical Homeopathy
Homeopathy is a scientific system of medicine in that it is based on a clear set of principles and laws derived from over 200 years of careful clinical observation. This has given rise to a set of clearly defined principles for treatment which include:
· The Law of Similars – it is postulated that a homeopathic remedy which gives rise to a distinct pattern of symptoms during proving in healthy persons is capable of relieving the same symptoms in a sick person. Classical homeopaths are trained to select the most appropriate remedy from the thousands available that most closely matches your symptoms and is therefore the most likely treatment to ameliorate your symptoms. The remedy is intended to act as a “catalyst” to begin the healing process.
· Provings – Homeopathic remedies are established by testing a single preparation of material in healthy human volunteers. They take the preparations under controlled conditions. The physical, mental and emotional symptoms that developed in these healthy humans were painstakingly recorded in terms of the part of the body in which they occured, the time of onset, the severity of the symptoms, duration and the frequency with which volunteers experience each symptom. This information makes up what is known as a homeopathic drug 'picture'.
Homeopathic remedies are prepared from highly diluted solutions of these preparations. Classical homeopathy teaches that as each proving yields a constellation of symptoms in healthy individuals, so it may be used to treat a similar constellation of symptoms in sick people.
· The Vital Force – the life energy that exists in every living being. Homeopathic treatment is believed to work through stimulating and balancing this energy in order to optimize health.
· Susceptibility – a person’s propensity to develop particular diseases or conditions.
Homeopathic treatment aims to alter a person’s susceptibility to develop a disease or condition with the intention of decreasing the likelihood of their developing the disease or to seek to ameliorate an existing condition.
· Remedy - Homeopathic remedies are made from substances that, in undiluted form, cause symptoms similar to the condition they aim to treat. These substances are serially diluted, with shaking (succussion) at each stage. Homeopaths believe this removes potential toxic side-effects and increases their power to stimulate a response. This occurs even in those remedies that are theoretically chemically inert or diluted past the point where any molecules of the original substance remain. Some Homeopathic research asserts that the properties of the original substance have become “imprinted” into the structure of the water in the remedy. The remedy gives the body a helping nudge in the right direction or acts as a ‘catalyst.’
· The Single remedy - Classical homeopathy uses single remedies at a time in order to facillitate change in the body. The symptoms of the patient are made to match as closely as possible to the characteristics of an existing remedy. A classical homeopath would not give multiple remedies to a person with a headache, runny nose and sore joints, but would prescribe the most appropriate remedy for that constellation of symptoms.
· Potentization – the unique process by which homeopathic remedies are made. It is a carefully controlled process of repeated dilution and succussion (shaking).
· Minimum Dose – homeopathic treatment uses the smallest possible amount of a remedy, just enough to stimulate the healing response of the Vital Force. Only one remedy is given at a time.